Saturday, February 24, 2007

Chapter One

In reading the first chapter of the text for this class, I honestly found some very interesting information and commentary on the subjects of both technology in the world at large, and how it affects us as educators. I enjoyed the use of "computer speak", and the terminology that I wouldn't otherwise be familiar with or use myself. For example: "RSS may be the new 'killer app' (extremely useful application) for education" (Richardson 8). In fact, this idea of RSS was completely foreign to me, and I consider myself pretty technologically savvy. Having content come to me is interesting, and the implications this carries for educators are extraordinary to say the least. I makes me a bit nervous, though, after reading the novel Feed by M.T. Anderson; it paints quite a frightening picture of the extreme dangers that technology can bring. The students in the novel, which is set in the future, also had information coming to them, whenever they needed it, at all times, just as the RSS operates. The problem became that the students were never satisfied with anything, because there was always something new popping into their heads, and technology was ultimately their downfall. Again, this was extreme, but it still scared me appropriately into taking a second, and third, look at the possibility of disaster when it comes to using technology for teaching. The text does a great job of covering this briefly, and I look forward to discussing it in class.
Some things that also interested me about this chapter, and about which I would like to learn much more:
  • flickr
  • xanga
  • how to cover the appropriateness of content being published and other dangers with students
  • web portfolios
  • online photo galleries that are educational and appropriate for everyday use

No comments: